Who is Satoshi Nakamoto ?
For anyone who is interested in a minimum, with crypto-currencies, with the name of Satoshi Nakamoto is far from unknown. So we will tell you a little bit more about this person who has a leading role in the history of the crypto-currency and specifically Bitcoin.
Presentation of Satoshi Nakamoto
Satoshi Nakamoto is known to be the creator of Bitcoin. However, we do know a little about him since he wanted to keep his identity secret. The only official information that we have dates back to 2009, at which time he claimed to be a Japanese 37-year-old. One can, however, have big doubts on the accuracy of this information, particularly because of the total absence of publications in japanese and of the quality of his English, which would more think of a native English speaker.
According to the information he himself provided, he would work on the project Bitcoin since 2007. In 2008, he reserve the domain name bitcoin.org before publishing a document in which it presents the Bitcoin. This document is then transmitted to potential users via a mailing list. Bitcoin-QT, the first version of Bitcoin, released in 2009 with the first copies of the currency, which will then be called tokens or corners. On December 12, 2010, it is going to hand over to Gavin Andersen, his successor, before withdrawing. Before leaving, he allows Gavin Andersen access to the project SourceForge Bitcoin and the key warning which alerts the network of any important event by broadcasting a message to the entire community. From this date, we do not find public. The only news that we have is a private message, dating back to may 2011, in which he spoke to Martti Malmi, stating : “I’m past that and I’ll probably be more there in the future. “
However, Satoshi Nakamoto is also known for having been the first miner of bitcoins. At one point, he was the only miner of bitcoins, which means that it has managed to accumulate a large number of bitcoins. Indeed, it is estimated that his fortune is close to a million bitcoins.
Speculation about the identity of Satoshi Nakamoto
While the identity of Satoshi Nakamoto has always remained secret, a large number of assumptions and rumors have arisen, from the most serious to the craziest. So, here are main of them :
- The first of them is Martti Malmi, a prodigy of Finnish computer science. Indeed, it is the author of the first transaction of bitcoins, and his name has mysteriously disappeared from the website Bitcoin from the start of Satoshi Nakamoto. But other names have circulated, such as that of Michael Clear, a specialist irish computer coding or a consortium of three researchers, it professionals, composed of Neal King, Vladimir Oksman and Charles Bry. Finally, among the other candidates are credible, which are not remained at the level of rumors, we find Jed McCaleb, the founder of the platform MtGox, Vili Lehonvirta, an economist and programmer of video games, Finnish, and Shinichi Mochizuki, a prodigy of japanese mathematics, specialized in number theory.
- Rumors even more fanciful have seen the light of day. For example, it has been said that Satoshi Nakamoto was, in fact, the association of four major brands, that is to say SAmsung, TOSHIba, NAKAmichi and MOTOrola. Also, notice that when there is a combination of the first letters of each mark (in upper case above), we obtain Satoshi Nakamoto. A second rumor also fanciful reports that the Bitcoin would be in fact an operation conducted by the NSA and that under the name of Satoshi Nakamoto was hiding in fact a working group of some fifty people. According to the rumor, the NSA would use to under-treatment of the attacks, a brute force on encrypted transmissions. This would allow him to reduce their cost in internal while to be able to create a system of rewards for those who undermine the Bitcoin.
- Among the tracks the most credible, we find Nick Szabo, who belonged to the movement of cyberpunks in the 90’s. This group had several objectives, including that of creating a virtual currency anonymous and. In addition, between 1998 and 2005, he participated in the development of Bit Gold, which is a little the ancestor of Bitcoin. However, the system quickly fell short because he was not sufficiently protected against attacks. Finally, on 16 April 2014, a study conducted by a group of students led by Dr Jack Grieve came to the conclusion that Nick Szabo was the author of the white paper of Bitcoin, which would make him the founder.
- March 6, 2014, a journalist from Newsweek claims to have found Satoshi Nakamoto. It would be in fact a japanese American. His real name is Dorian Nakamoto, and he sank a peaceful retirement in the United States. However, the day after this declaration, a message was posted on the official twitter of Satoshi Nakamoto stating that he was not Dorian Nakamoto.
- Finally, Craig Steven Wright, a researcher from australia, has also been billed as Satoshi Nakamoto. It all begins 8 December 2015, when two journalists of the famous american magazine Wired publishes an entire series of clues, credible, pointing at the Australian. However, the authenticity of the indices could not be confirmed, and the PGP key provided appeared to have been backdated. However, he meets Gavin Andersen, the successor of Satoshi Nakamoto, in early 2016. At this meeting, Gavin Andersen is persuaded to share with his former mentor. However, Craig Steven Wright then offers evidence of his identity which are considered to be false by the experts. The Australian promises to bring further evidence before finally retracting.
What you must remember
- Satoshi Nakamoto is the creator of Bitcoin. Thanks to his invention, he managed to revolutionize the world of online payment with a crypto-currency, reliable and viable.
- However, what one gets the most of him is all the mystery that surrounds his identity.
- Many persons have been designated as being the real Satoshi Nakamoto, but it has never been possible to prove it. The mystery remains still.